For those of us who find it difficult getting curls on our natural hair, there are procedures to follow in order to achieve it effortlessly.
Clarifying your scalp when you are co-washing and sham-washing, there’s need to clarify the scalp. This is a method where by you wash your scalp and hair with a bentonite clay, baking soda or a clarifying shampoo.
You can clarify your scalp at least once a month in order to rid your scalp of build-ups accumulated by the different styling products you use on your hair. When your hair is well clarified, the strands will get more defined curls.
Other Reasons Why You Should Clarify Your Scalp
■ You use heavy products or notice the hair is limp or lifeless.
■ Your hair feels sticky or coated after wash.
■ Your hair continues to feel dry after progressively applying moisturiser, oils and styling products.
■ You use milder shampoos and conditioners for hair wash.
■ Your hair gets drier and no longer responds to conditioning or moisturising products.
■ You use heavier oil.
■ You notice or see a whitish residue on your scalp and hair after wash (those are build-up).
■ You use hard water to wash your hair.
YOU CAN READ: DIY Okra Conditioner For Curly Natural Hair
4 Methods On How To Carify Your Scalp
1. BAKING SODA/SHAMPOO MIX
Mix atleast 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda in your shampoo and use it to wash your hair and scalp.
Note: If you’ve got a high porosity hair, please do not use this method.
2. CLUB SODA OR SODA WATER
Club soda is not only used as a refreshing drink but as a super clarifying agent for hair, as it helps to eliminate dirt from the hair, frizz and left over residues. Leaving your hair clean, shinner and brighter looking.
Club soda is acidic due to the small amount of baking soda present and this brings it to an equal level with our hair natural pH level of 4.5-5.
Also the acidic content present in club soda, breaks down stubborn products which causes build-up, it clarifies the hair, scalp and likewise smoothen the hair cuticles.
How To Use Club Soda To Clarify The Hair / Scalp
- Wet hair and section it, if you need to. Ensure you have a towel round your neck
- Pour in your club soda in a spray bottle and spritz ur damp hair and scalp with it. Massage your scalp while you spritz. There’s no need to make your club soda flat and no need to dilute either.
- After your hair and scalp are properly spritzed with club soda, allow it to sit for 2-3 mins, then you rinse and co-wash or sham-wash thereafter.
Note: In the absence of a spritz bottle, you can simply pour your Club Soda over your hair/scalp.
3. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR(ACV)
Apple cider vinegar has numerous hair benefits and one of such is the ability to clarify the hair and scalp. Apple Cider Vinegar is almost in same category with Club Soda and has same direction for clarifying hair and scalp. Clarification should be followed precisely, but there is need to dilute the Apple Cider Vinegar before use.
Below Are 2 Ways To Dilute ACV
- Mix 2oz of ACV and 6oz of water.
- Mix 1 part of ACV and 3/4 cups of water.
Note: The Apple Cider Vinegar or the Club Soda clarifying method can be done before or after shampoo, ensure your hair is rinsed thoroughly and follow it up with a moisturising deep conditioning treatment.
HERE’S A GREAT POST: How To Take Care Of Your Natural Hair Tips
4. BENTONITE CLAY MASK
I have used this method and it worked for me. The Bentonite clay mask, usually in a greyish or cream color is great for clarifying the hair and scalp as well as conditions the hair. This ordourless, non-staining clay mask has been used for thousands of years for skin and hair issues and it is formed from reaction between volcanic ash and weather elements including water.
The sodium bentonite and the calcium bentonite clay mask is widely used. There are also 2 grades of Bentonite, which are Industrial and Food Grades.
How To Use Bentonite Clay Mask To Clarify Your Hair
- After you clarify your hair with bentonite clay mask [click here for the process]. You will need to deep-condition your hair to get well defined curls. You can do a moisturizing deep conditioning, for example: Banana Or Avocado moisturizing deep conditioning.
- After washing off your the conditioner, you use Crisco Mix. Reason is that Crisco helps with well defined and lasting curls.
- Or you mix Eco styler with little shea-butter, [this is to avoid flakes in your hair].
You can twist-out or braid out your hair. When you twist out, you’ll see the curls popping and defined.
I hope you give a try Try it and let us know how your hair turned out in the comment section.