I learned this from Naptural85 on YouTube and have tweaked it to suit. My hair loves this treatment, it makes washing it so much easier, and it’s reduced the amount of breakage I see when washing. I also see more shine when I do this. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty quick to do as well.
A bit about pre-pooing in general: it’s an excellent step to add to your hair routine before you start shampooing. It helps the hair become more pliable when washing, reduces breakage. Most people use oil that works for their hair, but adding aloe vera improves the treatment.
Aloe vera has moisturizing properties that work well with Afro hair and help clear your scalp and balance the pH of both the hair and scalp. You may have to do some trial and error with the oils to find what works best for you. Olive oil is usually a good one to start with – see if it feels too heavy/light, and then experiment from there.
Below Are Tips for Pre-poo Treatment
- A stalk of aloe vera or a tube of pure aloe vera gel
- A Liquid in a spray bottle (water, or a spritz. you can mix up half aloe juice, half almond oil)
- Comb for detangling, if desired.
- Your favorite oil for pre-pooing (I like to use a blend of olive + avocado oil, and sometimes I’ll throw in a few drops of essential oils as well)
- Plastic cap or plastic bag
- Grab your aloe stalk (picture 1). Alternatively, you can use pure aloe gel, which comes in tubes.
- Cut a chunk off the end if you’re using the aloe stalk. The rest of the stalk can have plastic wrapped around the end and be stored in the fridge.
- Cut and remove the gel of the aloe vera. That’s what’s going to go in your hair.
- Part your hair into about 8 sections, and twist/clip each one up out of the way. Clean parts make the process much easier.
- Spray your hair with water or your favorite spritz or detangler. I use my homemade spritz. You can do some gentle finger-detangling at this point too.
- Get your aloe vera gel.
- Rub it (the gooey side), around the edge of a section of hair, onto your scalp. You can then run it through that section of hair.
- Twist your hair back up, and repeat for all sections.
- Also, it feels fantastic if you massage it into your scalp with your finger-pads.
- Then grab your oil of choice (mine is a combination of olive + avocado), and apply that to each section of hair.
- Pay special attention to your ends.
- You can detangle at this point and then twist up again. Add extra oil to your edges as well.
- Put on a plastic cap/plastic bag, and sit with this for 30 mins. You can go longer if you like, but it’s not necessary.
- Heat options are fine; steaming or thermal caps both work well. I use a microwaveable one called a ‘Hot Head,’ it does the job very well.
- Take off your plastic, and your hair is now ready for shampooing!
Happy Hair Grooming.
Pingback:HOW TO CREATE A HEALTHY HAIR REGIMEN - JULIASDAILYTIPS
Pingback:Solutions For Removing Skin Tags - JULIASDAILYTIPS
Pingback:7 Effective Natural Ways To Tame Your Curly Hair - JULIASDAILYTIPS